[Developers] Seismic data I/O

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Thu Feb 2 12:24:38 CET 2006

Hi all,

Faiqa asks a question that is fairly common: how do I make tailor-made
import/export.

The nice thing is that there is a plugin which was made to serve as an
example for this: the uiSeisIOSimple plugin. SEG-Y import/export is
rather complex due to the complexity and incompleteness of SEG-Y which
makes it not very good as an example.

When I made the plugin, I also added documentation to show that you can
package your own doc with a plugin, All show pretty well what's going
on. The plugin supports 3D as well as 2D data. The nice thing is that
the plugin is also very useful by itself: it allows I/O from simple
ascii or binary files.

When this plugin still looks complex, it's only like that because the
handlign of the 'simple file' data requires some work. The OpendTect
stuff is rather straightforward: you'll need a SeisTrcReader for export
and a SeisTrcWriter for export.

Concluding, my answer would be: look at plugins/uiSeisIOSimple, avoid
the SEG-Y stuff in uiSeis like uiseissegyimpexp.cc.

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands