[Developers] CBVS format

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Mon Jan 23 13:20:57 CET 2006

Hi,

Boris Avdeev asked:

> Is there a specs sheet for this format becides cbvswritemgr.cc? Can I get it?

We have no such thing. We don't like to make one either, the format is defined
by its access functions in in the CBVSReadMgr class. If you need to, look in
cbvsreader.cc about a few things that will probably not change in the heaser.
But in general, the format is rather fluid and the only thing we want to
guarantee is that a newer version of OpendTect can still read old CBVS cubes.
There are only a few exceptions, we dropped some rather weird options and the
Mac 2.0 cannot be read by 2.2 an vice versa. That's because we made a mistake
on the endianness of the Mac, for which making a backward compatibility
function is too much work. You can still see that mistake in the cbvsreader.cc
comments, that needs to be changed.

In the coming year, I expect bricking and compression to be added - it depends
on sponsors. That will change the format for sure, but the acces interface
should be rather stable.

The format is probably too complex anyway to make your own reader. But you're
free to try, anyway.

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands