[Developers] Parallelization of computations

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgb-group.com
Thu Jan 3 19:53:20 CET 2008

Colin Hawke wrote:
> Hi Kristofer,
>
> I have a quick query to this. I have a 5 node, 40-core cluster (each node has two quad-core cpu's). In OD some processing steps such as generating/filtering steering cubes seem to utilise the cores very nicely. However other jobs such as making a structurally orientated filtered volume (using Volume Statistics with Full Steering) only one core (out of 8 !) seems to get utilsed in each node - any idea why this is so ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

Dear Colin,

There can be a number of reasons for this: First of all, the full
steering is implemented in a way that does not use parallel
computations. This is something we may want to look into. The time spend
in full steering is however relatively minor, so the impact should be
limited. Another reason may be data i/o, i.e. how fast the nodes may get
the data. The steering cube generation is very good in parallel
processing, since the i/o is limited and it's a lot of calculations.
Filtering operations are often cheap in terms of processing, but the i/o
is often more extensive.

That is at least our experience when processing attributes.

Best Regards,

Kristofer

--
Dr. Kristofer Tingdahl