[Developers] common offset prestack processing

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Mon Oct 13 03:11:27 CEST 2008

Dear fellow developers,

> as opendtect begins to handle prestack data, I am starting to
> speculate about porting some algorithms into pre-stack domain.
>
> Some of those would require common-offset sorting of input: each
> common offset cube would ideally be processed separately and all
> offsets outputs collected together would yield the final resulting CDP.
>
> I have not inspected the 3.2.1 code closely enough, but I noticed that
> there is a new attribute that has a prestack input and computes avo
> attributes (among other things): such attribute has pre-stack input
> but post-stack output, so it does not prove common-offset processing
> is possible yet.
>
> What is actually possible in 3.2.1 and what will the future bring in
> that respect?

Yes, we now have pre-stack, but the design of OpendTect is all around
interpretation. Thus, we made a model of what Pre-stack data 'is',
around the simple: 'we need to access it for interpretation' idea. Give
a position (BinID in 3D, line name and trace number in 2D), and you'll
get the CMP gather back.

We'd expect the pre-stack data in the store to be migrated and
everything: basically, the data that when stacked will deliver the
post-stack cube. That is the only really usable data in interpretation.

What you're describing is actually processing, and since you are forced
to write ps-data in inl/crl/offset sequence, you cannot do what you
intend to do directly. To be 100% correct, you can write inlines in
random order, as long as you write the individual inlines in crl/offset
sorting. So, if your algorithm can do one inline at a time, and you have
memory enough to buffer an inline, you can do that. The pre-stack reader
can be used for random read without limitations, as described in the
initial paragraph. If you cannot do one inline at a time, you can make a
batch-type program where you use the prestack reader to read in whatever
sorting you want, and write out cbvs volumes, one per offset. Then, you
merge them in a final step and remove the intermediate volumes.

Best regards,

Kristofer Tingdahl

--
Dr. Kristofer Tingdahl