[Developers] Licenses

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Tue Dec 1 11:54:41 CET 2009

Hi Fidel,

> Where do you buy the license software
> flexlm in order to generate licenses and installing them from? Do you
> have any idea how much it costs?

FlexLM has been marked 'legacy' software by the owners already years
ago. Nowadays, the software is part of what they call 'FlexNet
Publisher' and it's owned by Flexera. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlexNet_Publisher

There are a lot of competitors nowadays, which can be a lot cheaper, and
I think also better. But FlexLM is the industry standard.

I'm currently trying to make (as a background project) a 'Usage Monitor'
inside OpendTect. For GPL users, this would be a tool to monitor usage
and make statistics. The usage server will also have the ability to load
plugins. Commercial plugin builders could use it to transfer licensing
info between clients and the usage server (hence an easy way to make a
free license manager). I hope I can make something useful in the coming
half year, but I can't give any schedules or promises.

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org