[Developers] On VC and ODT

Ranojay Sen ranojay.sen at dgbes.com
Fri Dec 4 12:06:11 CET 2009

Hi Fidel,

> (1)     The tutorial on developing in MS-WINDOWS say the newest
> version of VC is the best. So, I installed VC 9.x, and generate the
> solution for the plugins. Then, VC asks for converting the solutions
> to the newest version and succeeded.

This seems to be OK,  all OpendTect source code supports MSVC 9 compiler.

> (2)     When I tried to load the generated plugins, ODT refused to
> load them. I wonder the causes:
>

> (a) Because plugins are already compiled and distributed in the
> "Program Files" directory, so ODT has already loaded plugins (even
> those for testing) when I tried to load the ones VC generated. I tried
> without succes to erase the plugins in the "Program Files" directory.
> I could not do this because, perhaps, Windows restricted access to
> these files.

As you have noticed,  if the plug-in is already loaded, you cannot  load
another instance of the same plug-in.  However there are two ways  to
solve this.
 1)  If you see the Auto-Load Plug-ins dialog box at start up, un-check
all the check boxes and OpendTect will start without any plug-ins. You
can then manually load any plugin via the Utilities - Plugins menu.
 2) You can disable the Auto-Load plug-ins by renaming the .alo files in
the "Program Files" folder, provided you have the write permission to
these folders.

> (b) Because ODT was compiled with VC 8, and I tried to compile plugins
> with VC 9. Are there differences between VC 8 and VC9 so big to make
> this incompatibility?

This can be a valid problem. Two different version of  Visual studio
generates different version of Manifests, that means the DLL of the
newer version might be incompatible with the
older version. We will test this situation here as well and let you know
the results.

>  Am I right? What can you advise me?

First try my suggestions above. If all fails, I'm afraid you'll have to

Regards
Ranojay

--
Ranojay Sen