[OpendTect_Developers] Automating attribute creation?

Hare, John (GE Global Research, consultant) hare at ge.com
Wed Dec 22 16:40:41 CET 2010

I am very new to OpendTect but have none the less been given a task to
work on a plug-in that was created by someone else here.  One of the
immediate goals is to streamline kicking off the plug-in.  Currently, I
have to get into the Attribute Set 3D dialog, select my plug-in, select
an input cube, give it an Attribute name and "Add as new", then click
"OK".  THEN I have to go through a "Save Attribute definitions as"
dialog and pass a challenge prompt for overwriting the one from my last
run.

Needless to say, when I'm testing small changes to my plug-in, I'm
repeating a lot of steps here.  And that doesn't even actually make my
plug-in run.  I still have to go to my Elements tree, click on Volume to
add, select the Attribute I created and then it runs.

What I would like is to create a new menu item that would handle all
this for me.  Either it would look for a known input cube name, or just
select the first (or only) on, add the new Attribute definition and then
kick off the new Attribute volume.  It doesn't seem like the plug-in
architecture was really intended to operate quite this way, so any
suggestions are welcome.  In addition to easing up my testing process,
in the long term, having a very simple procedure for people who aren't
me to follow is going to be highly beneficial as well.

Thanks in advance.  Happy holidays.

John