[OpendTect_Developers] What is the actual state of the project?

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Tue Nov 2 16:45:46 CET 2010

Hi all,

Júlio wrote:

>     * Why Makeself? What is the advantage in use this archiver/scritpt
>       feature instead of a simple *.tar.gz? Is the first time that i see it.

Why not? It seems easier. Don't forget it also starts an installation
script.

We're well on the way making a real installer/updater program, so that
will nullify this discussion anyway.

>     * There is a VCS? Would be great if exists a Git repository to clone
>       :-) If we have time to improve something, we can send patches to you.

Let's just assume you mean CVS. Yes, we use CVS, and the repositories
are even accessible in read-only mode. At the moment, we only access it
ourselves. Not sure whether accessing it would be useful though. First
of all, the CVS repositories are not always in a good state: big changes
may be in progress. Further, we'll be scared to give others write
permissions. That could happen, but only after proven code and procedure
solidness.

Therefore, I'd first just send any new code to us and we can then
integrate it if all's OK.

The above procedure is not uncommon in Open Source; just letting
everyone write to CVS repositories is a guarantee for disaster.

> The Doxygen documentation is very helpful.

We never use it ourselves. The header files + some powerful search tools
are a lot better (but maybe we are too much 'power' users already).

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org