[OpendTect_Developers] What is the actual state of the project?

Júlio Hoffimann julio.hoffimann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 19:53:43 CET 2010

Hi Bert, hi all,

Sorry if sounded rude :-). I'm trying to contribute.

I did ask about Makeself because is not so common and because sometimes the
researcher/programmer just wants to check the source code of the project to
get familiar. An "INSTALL_NOTES" text file is simple and inhibits an
unwanted installation. Also, there are file permission problems. Anyway, you
told about an installer, this certainly nullifies the discussion for the
binaries in a user point of view :-). But for me and many other programmers,
a *.tar.gz continues to be the better choice for the source code.

No, i meant VCS (Version Control System). CVS is a particular VCS and,
sadly, an anagram too :-). Today, most of the projects are migrating to
distributed VCS's, like Git, Mercury, etc. Some famous are KDE, the recent
LibreOffice created as a community manifestation to Oracle impositions under
OpenOffice.org office suite. Both, KDE and LibreOffice, are now using Git
instead of a centralized VCS (CVS, SVN,...). The main developers has total
control of the project when the VCS is configured correctly. This is why
disasters don't happens and Open Sources projects can grow.

Júlio.