[OpendTect_Developers] Automated data loading

Jaap Glas Jaap.Glas at dgbes.com
Mon Jun 6 11:03:59 CEST 2011

Dear Marc Langlois,

> Are there command-line utilities that would allow the conversion of SEGY to
> .cvbs and create any other required meta-data? That would allow the process
> to be scripted with a minimal set of input parameters, e.g. a list of file
> names.

Not that I am aware of. However, you might check whether our CmdDriver plugin
can be of any help (Appendix B of the user manual). OpendTect has an "internal"
script language. The CmdDriver plugin is able to record scripts and to play
them back. It is also possible to run an "autoexec" script at OpendTect
startup.

First you record all the actions that the user need to perform to load one
line of the "multiple 2D line SEGY data". Next you edit the recorded script
to make it more generally applicable. Up to now, creating a script for
multiple lines requires duplicating the relevant part of the script N times,
and then adapting the (file)names. True, not very flexible, especially if
the number of lines and which lines you want are variable. Some of my
colleagues would use another general script language (awk) to create these
"multi-line" scripts automatically.

However, within a few weeks the CmdDriver plugin in OpendTect 4.2 will be
replaced by a major update including variables, expressions, assignment,
substitution and control flow commands. This would enable you to program
a loop around the recorded script part that handles one line. Then you
can for example ask the user to enter the (file)name of the next line to
load, and have the script do the rest of the work. Or you can for example
get these (file)names from another file that you include into your script
file.

> If command-line tools are not available, would it be possible to create a
> plug-in that would automate the creation of a new survey and display a set of
> 2D lines? Or would it be better create my own command-line utility using the
> programmer API and libraries?

I do not know whether your project allows you to wait for this new CmdDriver
functionality, but both alternatives you name sound to me as a lot of work.
When it comes to specific CmdDriver issues, you can always ask my help.

Best regards,

Jaap Glas

--
-- dr. Jaap C. Glas
-- Software Engineer
-- jaap.glas at dgbes.com
-- http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 534315155, Fax: +31 534315104