[OpendTect_Developers] Regarding Building Entire OpenDtect Application

Jaap Glas Jaap.Glas at dgbes.com
Fri Mar 4 16:25:48 CET 2011

Dear Vaqar Hyder,

A few remarks on your intention to make OpendTect functional on
multi-touch systems:

Vaqar Hyder wrote:
> to my understanding the plugins alone may not be sufficient to
> accomplish the task and few changes are need in the interface
> as well. (right?)

Right! Although the extent might depend a bit on what is actually
your aim? What kind of multi-touch features are you thinking of?
And is it for touch-screens, touch-pads, or both?

If you really want to add multi-touch features into existing
OpendTect interpretation workflows, more than a few interface
changes will be required. I am responsible for the implementation
of tablet support in OpendTect (4.2), and consider yours to be
a comparable project.

This is a link to my developers mailing-list posting of
19 November 2010, in which I wrote about tablet support:

http://lists.opendtect.org/pipermail/developers/2010-November/000216.html

Ranojay Sen wrote:
> Also note you need the third party packages like Qt and Coin
> if you like to build OpendTect from scratch.

About our user-interface platform: you will need at least Qt 4.6,
since earlier versions do not support the QTouchEvent class.

Beware that OpendTect is currently developed at dGB under Qt 4.5,
so one might run into an occasional stability problem when using
a higher version. Keep us informed.

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qtouchevent.html:
> By default, QWidget::event() translates the first non-primary
> touch point in a QTouchEvent into a QMouseEvent. This makes it
> possible to enable touch events on existing widgets that do not
> normally handle QTouchEvent.

This means that just like a QTabletEvent, also a QTouchEvent will
be mapped onto a QMouseEvent if it is not handled explicitly by
OpendTect. So I expect that OpendTect should already be able to
interpret one finger on your touch-device as if it was a tablet-pen
or a mouse pointer.

However, there is nothing "multi-touch" about that yet, so I am
really inquisitive to see what new features you have in mind for
OpendTect.

Best regards,

Jaap Glas

--
-- dr. Jaap C. Glas
-- Software Engineer
-- jaap.glas at dgbes.com
-- http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 534315155, Fax: +31 534315104