[OpendTect_Developers] Support building OpendTect with QT > 4.5.3

Nanne Hemstra nanne.hemstra at dgbes.com
Wed Sep 12 02:56:40 CEST 2012

Dear Ömer,

OpendTect v4.4.0 is indeed compiled with Qt 4.5.3. On my Windows laptop I
have a development environment where I build all against Qt 4.8.2. This
works perfect and no changes in the OpendTect code required.
I have had instability issues with Qt 4.6 and 4.7 in the past, but 4.8 is
pretty stable so far.

So, please rebuild OpendTect with Qt 4.8.2 and come back to us if you face
similar problems.

Best regards,
Nanne

On 11 September 2012 04:56, oemergenc at gmail.com <oemergenc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> at the moment im trying to build OpendTect with a version of QT that is
> newer then the supported version, as mentioned in the RELEASEINFO.txt (e.g.
> C:\Program Files\OpendTect\4.4.0\doc\ReleaseInfo).
> The actual supported version of QT is 4.5.3. The minimum version im faced
> to use is QT 4.6, but of course it would be nicer to use the actual version
> of QT (version 4.8).
>
> I tried to build OpendTect 4.4.0 against QT 4.6. The build process
> succeeds  but unfortenately i cannot run my OpendTect application. It
> immediately crashes with a krypic error message. Here it is:
>
> "Unhandled exception at 0x00e75ab3 in od_main.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation reading location 0xfeeefefe."
>

> Is there anyone who already tried something similiar and can give me some
> instructions, what has to be updated in OpendTect?
> Maybe the development team has already some experience on this?
>
> Im willing to use some of the new touch features of QT in OpendTect,
> therefore im absolutely depending on a new QT Version (>4.5.3)
>
> Thanks for help
> Ömer

Nanne Hemstra
Executive Vice President - Americas

dGB Earth Sciences
1, Sugar Creek Center Blvd - Suite 935
Sugar Land, TX 77478 - USA
Phone: +1 281-240-3939, Fax: +1 281-240-3944
http://www.dgbes.com , http://www.opendtect.org