[OpendTect_Developers] building OpendTect from source

Bert Bril bert.bril at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 16:28:05 CEST 2013

Hi,

Vladislav wrote:

> I am trying to build OpendTect from source. The process stops at:
>
> relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Yes, that is a nasty detail. the SIMVoleon lib (on Linux) needs the
objects to be compiled with -fPIC. This is because on Linux all objects
that go in shared libs need to be compiled with -fPIC.

Indeed, libSIMVoleon.a is not a shared lib you will say. The thing is,
we put the objects from this lib into libSoOD.so . Thus, they still need
to be compiled with -fPIC.

Thus, add -fPIC to the compile flags and this should work.

/Bert