[OpendTect_Developers] Remote 3D rendering/ Use of the GPU

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Tue Feb 26 21:12:17 CET 2013

All:

One of the long-term projects we are working on at dGB Earth Sciences in
converting our visualization from using Coin3D to OpenSceneGraph. It has
turned out to take longer time than anticipated, but we are aiming at
solving the remote visualization problem. Our solution is to have a special
mode (invisible to the user) where we will render on the remote computer
into a memory buffer, and then send the image over to the client side. It
is what VirtualGL and TurboVNC is doing, but we are building the
functionality into OpendTect. This will require high bandwidth between the
client and the server, but the images should have the full quality.

Now, this is at least a year ahead before we are going to release anything
with OSG, but I do want to give you a heads up.

Best regards,

Kristofer

Kristofer Tingdahl, Ph. D.
CEO