[OpendTect_Users] SEGY toolkit software

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Fri Feb 26 11:34:19 CET 2010

Hi all,

Witold wrote:

> I would like to point OpendTect users to my website, where
> Segy toolkit software is available for download. I think it
> may be very useful in preparation of segy data before loading
> it to OpendTect.

Ah! Finally. If it were free this would be even better, but ... finally
something that handles things that should have been handled by the
producer of the SEG-Y file. Things that we don't like to spend time on.
Because our specialty is making real interpretation tools.

Didn't test it, probably won't either - I simply make special-purpose
programs when I need to import a particular weird SEG-Y file. But I'm
told some people aren't into that sort of thing ...

I think the tool can be very useful - if you can afford it. The most
common problems we can't handle, which Witold says he can, are:

* Geodetic issues. We simply keep well clear of this can of worms. All
we require is that you use some sort of rectangular coordinate system.
Whcih is good because I bet many users wouldn't even know the projection
and datum they are using.

* Inserting navigation data. Also this is a nightmare with multiple
formats and possibilities. An extra problem for OpendTect is that we
need locations right from the start because we do 3D visualization. Note
that in 4.1.2 there will be a possibility to use a simple file with
'TraceNumber X Y' for 2D import.

* Inserting or correcting trace numbers and inlines/crosslines. We
simply need those numbers; they are the key to a trace position. The
requirements are:
* 3D: Inline and Crossline or X and Y.
* 2D: A 'good' trace number and coordinates. 'Good' means that it
reflects the real order and position of the traces.

If Witold could make a plugin with his functionality things would look
even brighter ...

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org