[OpendTect_Users] Workflow for interpreting complex seismic bodies (multi-z interpretation)

Friso Brouwer friso.brouwer at dgbes.com
Thu Apr 19 18:37:51 CEST 2012

Nicola,

A good way to attach this problem is to use geobodies. Without going into
all details of the workflow is the following:
*
1*: find a good seismic attribute, or a user driven neural network that
characterizes the geo-object (sills, salt, anything 3D) .
*
2*: process the final attribute/neural network into a stored volume
(processing menu > create seismic out > attribute).

*3*:  use the volume viewer in the OpendTect tree to review the geo-object.
Then convert to geobody using the following steps:
use in the volume viewer element add>isosurface to build a "skin" in the
volume viewer along a certain isovalue of the neural network or attribute.
This can be done seed based, or for the full region, depending on how much
control you want/need and may result in multiple unconnected patches.

*4*: then convert the isosurface to a geobody (right click on the
isosurface > convert to geobody)

*5*: now you can use the geobodies for efficient 3D vizualization, you can
also use the geobodies properties to mark them with different colors and
use that to categorize them (for example on age, or order of intrusion).

*2a*: optionally, as often an attribute contains some noise and/or small
bodies that are not that significant to the interpretation. To remove these
before step 3) in this workflow, use the voxel connectivity filter (VCF).
The VCF retains or removes voxels based on amplitude range and connected
size and is thus is a great way to isolate the larger geobodies only. Find
and build the filter in the analysis menu > volume builder. You can test
the filter in the fly, by adding a volume processing attribute to
inline/crossline/z-slcie. Before continuing with step 3) store the output
of VCF as a volume in the processing menu > volume builder.

Most details of this workflow can be found in our user doc's under the help
tab and on the support page of the website:
http://opendtect.org/index.php/support.html (go to the HowTo's and videos).
Note this workflow is also not unlike the chimney analysis we do a lot at
dGB, so we have some scientists in our offices who can help you (and
others) with the details of this workflow if needed, just send an email to
support at dgbes.com.

Kind regards,

Friso

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Nicola Scarselli <n.scarselli at es.rhul.ac.uk