[OpendTect_Users] Deriving 3D horizon from 2D horizon: big holes

Julien Moreau julien.moreau at geo.ku.dk
Wed Oct 3 13:18:43 CEST 2012

Hi Randy,

The interpolation is made according to the grid parameter, i.e. from the survey geometry. Unlike most of the 2D horizons, 3D horizons are clipped within the frame of the survey which is a sugarbox. Their coordinates are relative to the survey, not to the real seismic space.
If you don't have any 3D horizons derived from a seismic cube you can try to play with the survey parameters. If you do have a cube, the horizons will be distorted and you will have to pick them again. You can try to dump your 2D line into a temporary survey if you have a mixed dataset.
So:
First all your lines should be within the survey
Secondly, try to have a coarse spacing, meaning your u,v increment of the grid (the Xline-inline increment of the survey) with something quite large (equivalent to 4 times trace spacing?).

You should get some 3D surface. You will be able to tune that to get some meaningful results by optimising your survey geometry.

Best regards,

Julien

Julien Moreau, PhD
Assistant Professor, Applied Geophysics
Department of Geography and Geology, University of Copenhagen,
Øster Voldgade 10, 1350 København, Denmark