[OpendTect_Users] Deriving 3D horizon from 2D horizon: big holes

Farrukh Qayyum farrukh.qayyum at dgbes.com
Wed Oct 3 15:52:53 CEST 2012

Dear Randall,

>>On another horizon along the exact same lines, I have no such problem.

Your issues seems to be data related. Thanks to the earlier reply by
Julien. If his suggestions do not help soliving this issue, please do not
hesitate to contact OpendTect support at support at opendtect.org.

A part from this, I would like to share another idea which is only for 3D
surveys. We internally developed a plug-in that utilizes Dip Steering
Plugin to grid a 3D horizon. Attached images show the results. What
normally we do is that we map a 3D survey with a loose grid (10 by 10 steps
of inlines / crosslines) and then we try to do auto-tracking if the horizon
is phase consistent or we do gridding if the horizon cannot be
auto-tracked. The gridding step in 90% of cases is necessary and very
common in our workflows. However, the conventional gridding algorithms do
not follow the structure / stratigraphy that is always available in our
seismic data. Furthermore, we always see gridding artifacts and often the
interpolation method doesn't follow the background seismic (as highlighted
in the attachment).

Dip Steering plugin allows us to collect dip/azimuth information at each
sample location. We use such information to do
interpolation/gridding. Therefore, we are trying to use the seismic
dip/azimuth information while gridding a 3D horizon such that the output is
structurally as well as stratigraphically consistent.

We will release this plugin very soon to public, and it will require a Dip
Steering licence. I hope that most of you would like this in near future as
it would save a lot of your time and would output a superior grid.

Cheers and thanks for your attention.

*Farrukh Qayyum*,
Geoscientist,
dGB Earth Sciences B.V., Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The
Netherlands.
Tel: +31 53 4315155
Fax: +31 53 4315104
http://www.dgbes.com