[OpendTect_Users] Deriving 3D horizon from 2D horizon: big holes

Dan Wells wellsconsulting at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 3 15:03:50 CEST 2012

Randy,

It depends on which gridding algorithm you choose but generally you need
to increase the size of the search radius for Inverse distance, either
use "Use nearest neighbor" in triangulation or set max interpolate
distance, or increase the number of steps on the Extension algorithm.  I
have found the algorithms do not do a very good job projecting dip
between the 2d lines and you end up with an "escarpment" artifact
somewhere between the lines.  Inverse distance may be the best
possibility to get a smooth surface between lines but I have not spent
the time playing with parameters to figure that out.  There are also
gridding algorithms available if you have Madagascar installed but I
have not tried these.

Dan

On 10/2/2012 3:45 PM, Randy Hunt wrote:
> Hi everybody, I have been using OpenDtect and appreciate what it can
> do.   In some areas, it's a little "rough", like when I go to derive a
> 3D horizon from a 2D one.  No matter what parameters or gridding
> algorithm I use, I only get values interpolated along the 2D lines,
> nothing in the gaps between lines.   On another horizon along the
> exact same lines, I have no such problem.   Has anyone seen this
> issue, and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.   Thanks to everybody who has worked to
> provide such a great open source tool for geophysicists everywhere.
>
> regards
>
> Randall Hunt
> Pittsburgh, PA

Wells Consulting, Inc.