[Users] ridging attribute

Geert de Bruin geert.debruin at dgb-group.com
Thu Jul 7 14:26:21 CEST 2005

Dear all,

At the moment I am working on sequence stratigraphy (SSIS) and in order
to detect particular features I constructed a simple ridging attribute
(see example ftp://dgb-group.com/pub/tmp/Ridging_example.png). This
attribute was originally a pre-calculation for a different attribute,
but striking was the fact that it made the interpretation of structures
easier, since I was not biased by the energy of events.
The attribute set is quite simple. Each sample is compared with one
sample above and one sample below it. If it has a higher value than the
sample below and above it, the sample is located on or near a positive
peak. This sample is given a 1 as output, all others are made zero. The
same can be done for negative peaks, consequently the sample must be
smaller than the sample above and below it. It is possible to display
only the positive or negative ridges, or to combine them into a new
attribute.
See for ftp://dgb-group.com/pub/tmp/Ridging%20attribute.ppt complete
explanation.

Best regards,

G. de Bruin

--