[OpendTect_Users] Convert UTM Zone in segy file

Duncan Irving duncan.irving at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 09:28:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've done this with 2D in Seismic Unix so the principle should apply
although the technicalities will need to be enhanced for trace indexing:

1/ Dump the trace headers so that you are left with traceids,
shotpoints, CDPs and (lat,lon). You will need to have a way of indexing
the traces in the survey for later.
2/ Use GMT (gmtproject) to convert the UTM zone. This is fiddly to set
up but will be a one-liner when you have the parameters correct.
3/ Re-write the (lat,lon)s back into the original file. I'm not sure how
you would do this with a 3D volume - maybe Madagascar? I looped through
2D lines trace-by-trace but this may be more challenging with a 3D survey.

I did this a few years ago with bash, Seismic Unix and GMT. You can
probably do the whole thing more elegantly with python nowadays.

Maybe someone has a more modern approach? :-)

Duncan