[OpendTect_Users] Convert UTM Zone in segy file

Arnaud Huck arnaud.huck at dgbes.com
Mon Apr 4 17:12:46 CEST 2011

Dear Michel, Duncan,

I wish to remind you that all data loaded in OpendTect is referenced
with respect to the seismic inlines and crosslines, except for the 2D
seismic lines and well deviation surveys.
The coordinates are always computed using the transformation defined by
the survey geometry. As a result, one could alter the survey geometry
coordinates (for instance divide all coordinates by 10 if you forget to
scale the trace coordinates during import from SEG-Y) without having to
re-load all data.

Also incoming v4.2 will feature a 2D Geometry manager allowing this kind
of data manipulation for loaded 2D data (seismic lines, 2D interpretations).

Finally, I would propose the following workflow:
1- Load both surveys using their geometry
2- Use an online utility to convert the corner points of survey #2 to
the UTM zone of survey #1 (see
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/usefuldata/ConvertUTMNoOZ.HTM)

Also we are building a seismic survey gridder, that will be released in
the next development release of OpendTect 4.3, after 4.2. This will add
step 3 to the workflow (requires both surveys to use the same X-Y reference)
3- Import (grid) the data from survey #2 on the grid of survey #1, in
survey #1.

Best regards,
Arnaud Huck.

-- Senior Geoscientist
-- dGB Earth Sciences
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto: arnaud.huck at dgbes.com, http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104