[OpendTect_Users] strategies for dealing with large cubes

Colin Hawke colinhawke at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 6 20:33:57 CEST 2011

Dear Vikram,

If your data is at 32bit you can convert to 16bit or even 8bit. Because of the reduction in dynamic range 8bit is really only good for structural work. 16bit is a good compromise as it still has a reasonable dynamic range and still gives you a halving of disk space. Remember you'll need to scale your data first (8bit = -127 to +127 and 16bit -32767 to +32767).

It would be nice if you could get the statistics of the volumes such as min and max amplitude so you can do this scaling easily. I export as SEGY and then scan the cube with the SEGY input utilities in OpendTect - this even gives you the scalars you need to do the conversion to different bit ranges; perhaps there is an easier method?

It would also be nice if the standard deviation of the sample amplitudes were also reported so that a Z-Score transform can be applied (used for equalizing multiple volumes in AVO or time-lapse work) ...

Renee: When you use the 'copy cube' option to sub-sample in time does it apply a 3/4 Nyquist anti-alias filter or similar?

Cheers

Colin