[OpendTect_Users] Few questions on 3D horizons

Michael Heeremans michael.heeremans at geo.uio.no
Wed May 11 15:47:03 CEST 2011

 On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:33:14 +0200, Kristoffer Rimaila
 <kristoffer.rimaila at dgbes.com> wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> Hopefully the points below will answer your questions.
>
> 1) Two horizons can be merged through using the 'horizon' and
> 'mathematics' attributes. First, output 'z' of the horizons with the
> 'horizon' attribute (select 'Positions' and 'Horizon' in the 3D
> attribute set).  You will also need to select input seismic here.
> Next, use the 'mathematics' attribute to merge the two (or more)
> attributes created from your horizons. For example, you can use the
> following formula: horizon1 == undef? horizon2:horizon1 if your
> horizons contain 'empty space' within your inline/crossline range,
> i.e. undefined data. Give a name  and save. If the horizons you want
> to merge are overlapping you will need to accommodate for this in
> your
> mathematics attribute. For example you can specify the attribute to
> deal with overlap with the following formula: horizon1 > horizon2?
> horizon1 : horizon2 or vice versa, depending on which of the
> overlapping horizon-portions you wish to keep. Then use this
> attribute
> as input when you 'set' the formula for the merge attribute. If you
> ignore to take the overlap into account, the z value of your merged
> horizon will be the z-value of horizon1 + z-value of horizon2, i.e.
> double. After creating the merging attribute, go to 'Processing' in
> the main menu, select 'Create Grid Output' --> 'Grid' ---> '3D...'.
> Here, choose the merged attribute created with the formula, give new
> name and choose which surface to use as reference ('Calculate on
> surface').

 I have to admit, that this description was not very straight forward. I
 will try a few times more, but can't you just merge two 3D grids?

 Michel

--
 Dr. Michel Heeremans

 Data Management and Geoscientific Software support
 Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo
 PO Box 1047 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
 Room 205, Geology Building
 tel: +47 228 56615, mob: +47 99 434 968, fax: +47 228 54215
 e-mail: michael.heeremans (a) geo.uio.no