[OpendTect_Users] Few questions on 3D horizons

Kristoffer Rimaila kristoffer.rimaila at dgbes.com
Tue May 10 13:33:14 CEST 2011

Dear Michael,

Hopefully the points below will answer your questions.

1) Two horizons can be merged through using the 'horizon' and
'mathematics' attributes. First, output 'z' of the horizons with the
'horizon' attribute (select 'Positions' and 'Horizon' in the 3D
attribute set).  You will also need to select input seismic here. Next,
use the 'mathematics' attribute to merge the two (or more) attributes
created from your horizons. For example, you can use the following
formula: horizon1 == undef? horizon2:horizon1 if your horizons contain
'empty space' within your inline/crossline range, i.e. undefined data.
Give a name  and save. If the horizons you want to merge are overlapping
you will need to accommodate for this in your mathematics attribute. For
example you can specify the attribute to deal with overlap with the
following formula: horizon1 > horizon2? horizon1 : horizon2 or vice
versa, depending on which of the overlapping horizon-portions you wish
to keep. Then use this attribute as input when you 'set' the formula for
the merge attribute. If you ignore to take the overlap into account, the
z value of your merged horizon will be the z-value of horizon1 + z-value
of horizon2, i.e. double. After creating the merging attribute, go to
'Processing' in the main menu, select 'Create Grid Output' --> 'Grid'
---> '3D...'. Here, choose the merged attribute created with the
formula, give new name and choose which surface to use as reference
('Calculate on surface').

After gridding the attribute, go to 'Survey' (main toolbar) --> 'Export'
--> 'Horizons' --> 'ASCII 3D'. Select the merging (mathematics)
attribute, set area subselection (optional) and for 'Output Z' choose
'No'. Give output name and hit 'Go'. The new, merged horizon can then be
imported similarly in the main toolbar through 'Survey' --> 'Import' -->
'Horizons' --> 'Ascii' --> 'Geometry 3D'. Here, select the exported
file. It should not contain a header. Define the format (z-units are in
seconds!). Scan input file (optional), give output name and hit 'Go'.
The merged horizon can now be loaded in the tree.

The workflow above is obviously time consuming and complicated.
OpendTect version 4.3 (which will be released after the EAGE conference
in two weeks) deals with merging horizons in a much simpler way; you can
use the 'set z-values' tool under algorithms in the tree to convert a
grid into a horizon or apply a shift, stored as a grid to the horizon.

2) For more information on how to track/edit a horizon, please refer to
chapter 3.3 of the OpendTect user-documentation manual. It can be found
on the dGB support site:
http://opendtect.org/rel/doc/User/base/chapter3.3_interpret-horizons.htm#LINK-TRACKING.SETUP

3) It is possible for multiple persons to work on the same project. To
do this, I would suggest you set the data-root (ODData) to the same
network location on all of the computers you wish to work on. To avoid
file conflicts with edited horizons, faults etc. the first thing to do
would be to open the files and 'save as..' and create separate files for
each interpreter, using initials in names as id for instance.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

best regards,

-- Kristoffer Rimaila
-- Geoscientist
-- dGB Earth Sciences
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto: kristoffer.rimaila at dgbes.com, http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104