[OpendTect_Users] Scaling X/Y

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Wed May 18 00:10:51 CEST 2011

All:

> First of all don't hold it to much against me, I'm asking on behalf of
> an interpreter.
> So my why is a bit of a guess. :P

You can ask on behalf of someone, but that doesn't mean you are not
responsible for your questions here. I never like it when questions are
so vague it's almost impossible to answer them.

> In Kingdom, with a 2D section you can adjust the Z scale and the
> Horizontal Scale independently.

In OpendTect, you have the 3D scene and the 2D viewer. In the 2D viewer,
you can scale in any way you want: the rubberband allows you to make any
zoom.

> In Native 3D software Like opendtect, The closest you can really get to
> a 2D section is the Inline button?

No idea what the 'inline button' is. The closest you can get to a 2D
section is to pull up .... a 2D section.

> If I have this '2D section' up and I have my Z perfect say exactly 3-4
> seconds, And I decide I need to stretch what I'm seeing horizontally so
> it looks better on my montage. I have to adjust the Z-Scale up and then
> zoom out, And then Re-find and my event.

Well, that is if you want to make a 'montage' in 3D. That may be a good
idea too, but imagine what happens if you distort the picture in X or Y
(or inline or crossline). The whole scene would become a bad case of
foul geometry. And seriously, what would it add? Just setting the Z
scale is good.

In the 2D viewer, as said, anything goes. As it should.

I have the feeling that lots of people simply resist the notion of a
full 3D viewer and try to find any argument they can think of to not
have to get used to it.

> This can make getting that perfect screenshot a bit difficult.

Nice screenshots that would be ... Everything totally geometrically
incorrect, but nicely displayed in 3D with perspective. 'Look John, this
channel is really WIDE!'

> I guess I still phrased what I was asking poorly, I should of said
> Stretch the Inline domain relative to the X-line. But I have a feeling
> the answer is going to be the same; some sort of Import/Export Games?

I simply can't believe this kind of stuff is what you really want.

Bert