[OpendTect_Users] Saving GMT scripts or Plotting Geographical Coordinates

Michael Heeremans michael.heeremans at geo.uio.no
Mon May 30 09:40:39 CEST 2011

 On Mon, 30 May 2011 10:08:44 +0530, Raman Singh <raman.singh at dgbes.com>
 wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>

>>   I'm wondering whether it could be possible to save the GMT script
>> that
>>   OpendTect is running in order to edit this later and run it
>>   independently from OpendTect.
>
> We do not have the option of saving this script. It would be very
> easy to implement such an option in the user interface, but the
> resulting script would not be very useful to the users. The reason
> is,
> for most of the GMT programs the input data is generated by OpendTect
> at runtime and fed into the input stream. If you want to use the same
> set of programs (put in a script) you need to export all kinds of
> input data from OpendTect viz. horizons, wells, polygons, 2D lines
> etc
> and then edit the data to suit specific GMT programs. Subsequently
> you
> need to use these files as input in the script. Thus it becomes very
> complicated. If you just want to reuse a work-flow, you can save and
> open it from the user interface.
>
>> The reason I ask is that I actually would like to plot a map in
>> geographical coorsinates and not in UTM
>>   coordinates. I tried to add this with the advanced option but I
>> did not succeed.
>
> This is something we can have as an option in the user interface in
> future. So, one could choose between Geographical and UTM coordinate
> systems and provide necessary inputs. Then everything on the map
> would
> follow that coordinate system. This will indeed be a valuable
> addition
> to our user interface.
>
> For some features like 2D lines, survey box, wells etc, you can
> create a KML file and view your data in Google Earth. For details,
> please refer to the users' manual (search for 'Google' there).

 Thanks for your answer. This last option is interesting.

 mvh Michel

--
 Dr. Michel Heeremans

 Data Management and Geoscientific Software support
 Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo
 PO Box 1047 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
 Room 205, Geology Building
 tel: +47 228 56615, mob: +47 99 434 968, fax: +47 228 54215
 e-mail: michael.heeremans (a) geo.uio.no