[OpendTect_Users] Saving GMT scripts or Plotting Geographical Coordinates

Raman Singh raman.singh at dgbes.com
Mon May 30 06:38:44 CEST 2011

Dear Michael,

>   I'm wondering whether it could be possible to save the GMT script that
>   OpendTect is running in order to edit this later and run it
>   independently from OpendTect.

We do not have the option of saving this script. It would be very easy
to implement such an option in the user interface, but the resulting
script would not be very useful to the users. The reason is, for most of
the GMT programs the input data is generated by OpendTect at runtime and
fed into the input stream. If you want to use the same set of programs
(put in a script) you need to export all kinds of input data from
OpendTect viz. horizons, wells, polygons, 2D lines etc and then edit the
data to suit specific GMT programs. Subsequently you need to use these
files as input in the script. Thus it becomes very complicated. If you
just want to reuse a work-flow, you can save and open it from the user
interface.

> The reason I ask is that I actually would like to plot a map in geographical coorsinates and not in UTM
>   coordinates. I tried to add this with the advanced option but I did not succeed.

This is something we can have as an option in the user interface in
future. So, one could choose between Geographical and UTM coordinate
systems and provide necessary inputs. Then everything on the map would
follow that coordinate system. This will indeed be a valuable addition
to our user interface.

For some features like 2D lines, survey box, wells etc, you can create a
KML file and view your data in Google Earth. For details, please refer
to the users' manual (search for 'Google' there).

Thanks and regards,
Raman

--
- Raman K Singh