[OpendTect_Users] Import horizons without interpolation

Arnaud Huck arnaud.huck at dgbes.com
Tue Sep 6 14:13:25 CEST 2011

Dear Gery,

We must distinguish two things in your observations: Visualization and
data storage

1- Data storage: With a survey whose bin size is 25x25m, you can
import/use any horizon whose inline/crossline spacing is a multiple of
25m. Getting horizons with a different bin size can be done by gridding
in the right-click menu of a loaded horizon in the tree (mainly for
obtaining a thinner grid), or in the surface manager with the copy
option (mainly to decimate a grid). The gridding options are also
available in the horizon import window but the default option is to keep
the bin size resolution of the input file.
The main new option in 4.2 is the ability to set the output bin size in
the horizon gridding window.

2- Visualization: Here you will notice more changes in version 4.2 as
compared to earlier versions; The old visualization was very
restrictive, as one could see an horizon in plain only if its bin size
was matching the survey bin size. Horizon with large stepout were
displayed optimally as a raster, most often a very tiny lines difficult
to see.
This restriction is now gone in OpendTect-4.2, as any regularly sampled
horizon is triangulated on the fly when displayed in a scene into a
plain horizon. I believe that this is what you are observing. It does
not mean that the data on disk has changed or has been gridded, since
the triangulation is done only for the display. The drawback is that the
raster-like display is no longer present, but such display was not done
in purpose anyway. I wonder how many users would need such display and
for what purpose (in the 3D scene).
You may want to post your horizon "Z values" in a 2D viewer to see your
real data. This is always a good QC tool if you think that the 3D
display does not reflect your data on disk.

Best regards,
Arnaud Huck.

-- Senior Geoscientist
-- dGB Earth Sciences
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto: arnaud.huck at dgbes.com, http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104