[OpendTect_Users] Texture Attributes in OpendTect v4.40e

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Fri Dec 21 14:23:17 CET 2012

Dear all,

Further to Raman's mail about patch release v4.40e, I am pleased to
announce that this release also features an important new family of seismic
attributes in the open source part.

*GLCM texture attributes* come from image processing and were developed to
capture roughness / smoothness of an image. In seismic interpretation these
attributes are especially useful in seismic facies analysis. If you have
access to dip-steering you can extract the input to the texture
calculations in three dimensions along the stratigraphy. To our knowledge
that is new and has not been published before.

Students who are looking for an interesting subject on seismic attributes
that is worth publishing may want to try this:

   1. *Objective:* perform a clustering of seismic attributes in 3D that
   reveals geologically meaningful patterns (3D objects like channels, lobes,
   reefs, etc.).
   2. *How:* use UVQ neural networks and apply to a target interval.
   3. *Challenge:* Find the best combination of input attributes to capture
   all different responses.
   4. *Tip:* Use (dip-steered) texture attributes, HorizonCube attributes,
   Spectral Decomposition Attributes and any other (phase-independent)
   attributes as input.

We are interested in receiving output examples and input attribute sets.
Good sets may be released as default sets in the next release of OpendTect.
Obviously this will be done with full credits.

For details on texture attributes in OpendTect, please see the userdoc at
http://opendtect.org/rel/doc/User/base/appendix_texture.htm .

I wish you all a Happy Holiday Season and all the best for 2013.

Best regards,

Paul.

--
*Paul de Groot