[OpendTect_Users] OpendTect 4.4.0-beta available

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Tue Jun 5 14:19:18 CEST 2012

Dear users,

During the past months we have been working hard to get version 4.4.0
finished. Today, we have put a beta release version in the download
center. This should lead to a real stable release 4.4.0a by the start of
July.

For a year now, we have been especially emphasizing 'usability', and
some developments in that area are still under development. For example,
we want to make the entire path from the discovery of OpendTect to the
first usage much easier. This is reflected in the adoption of a new
installation manager. With it it's much easier to install and manage the
application, and what components you want to be downloaded (and
installed). OpendTect will also tell you when there are updates
available and start the installation manager for you if you want that.
Lastly, off-line installation (re-distribution) will be added in the
installer for the 4.4.0a release.

For the rest, well, as usual the new release is full of new
functionality. A short (by no means complete) list of highlights is at
the end of this e-mail. And as always, you can download material
(including the installer) at the download page of the web site:
http:/download.opendtect.org

Note for users of the dGB plugins: dGB have upgraded the license
management to FlexNET 11. The procedures are largely the same, but the
license manager daemon has changed (from 'lm_dgb' to 'dgbld'). You will
be able to run the plugins in both 4.2.0 and 4.4.0 at the same time due
to this, which will make the transition easier. The new licenses you
will need to be able to use the 4.4.0 plugins can be obtained - as usual
- by sending a request to support at dgbes.com.

Short list of highlights:

* SEG-Y header manipulation tool
* Load cubes from other surveys (sinc interpolation)
* Create cubes from 2D data
* Create cubes from well logs, along the deviated well tracks.
* Attribute that snaps on-the-fly to an event and returns the amplitude
* The variogram tool is now anisotropic and well specific
* Tool for bulk modification of well logs (filter, clip, etc.)
* Log creation mathematics extended by the Rock Physics library
* Checkshot editor
* 3D Pre-stack event visualization
* Multi-gather pre-stack viewer
* Improved manual classification tool in crossplot module
* Basic layer modelling (generation of properties, synthetics, and
extraction of attributes)

dGB plugins:
* Dip-steering
   - perpendicular dip extractor attribute
* HorizonCube:
   - 3D Slider
   - 3D editor
   - model in-fill on 2nd iteration
* SynthRock: Preview (pre-alpha) release
   - Stochastic pseudo-well generation
   - Profile modelling
   - Synthetic-to-seismic crossplot extraction
   - HitCube inversion

ARK CLS plugins:
* New plugins:
   - Seismic Feature Enhancement: flat-spot utility enhancing flat events
   - Seismic Net Pay: estimates net pay from seismic colour inverted data

SITFAL plugin:
* New plugin CLAS Lite (petrophysics): log editing and calculation of
derived logs

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org