[OpendTect_Users] Synthetic seismogram generation in OpendTect

Arnaud Huck arnaud.huck at dgbes.com
Tue Feb 5 14:19:48 CET 2013

Dear Mike, OpendTect users,

Allow me to answer to your last question: Yes and No

No, you do not need any license to do the following operations in OpendTect:

Yes, you can (for free):
1- Import you checkshot, well deviation, time-depth model, markers, logs
from ascii text files.
2- Import a VSP SEG-Y as either a 2D line, 3D volume or a well log.
3- Edit, despike your logs in the well manager log tools (frequency
filtering will be present in the next development release)
4- Compute a log from one or several others with the Rock Physics
library (Gardner equation, Castagna, Elastic Impedance, ...)
5- Generate a synthetic Ricker wavelet, extract a statistical wavelet
from a line/volume
6- Create a synthetic seismogram for a well (use the real well deviation)
7- Apply a bulk shift, stretch or squeeze to your time depth model
depending on what you want to do.
8- Estimate the cross-correlation between the synthetic seismogram and a
composite seismic trace extracted along the (deviated) well path.
9- Save the impedance, reflectivity and synthetic as either volumes
and/or logs.
10- Estimate a deterministic wavelet per well, with interactive tapering
and phase rotation post-processing.
11- Interactively merge (stack+alignment) several wavelets to generate a
composite wavelet.

Please find below the link to a webinar we dedicated on this topic:
http://opendtect.org/tutorials/Webinar_Synthethic_to_Seismic_Matching

Best regards,
Arnaud Huck.

Arnaud Huck, MSc.
Senior Geoscientist
dGB Earth Sciences
Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
arnaud.huck at dgbes.com
Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104
http://www.dgbes.com