[Developers] COMPILING ODT

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Mon Jan 28 16:17:39 CET 2008

Hi Fidel,

> I am trying to compile ODT in Itanium Linux. From the three packages needed,
> I just installed and compiled two: FFTW and Coin.
>
> I just miss Qt.

Just in case you need to know: Qt can be obtained at:
http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/x11

We use this configure:

-prefix your_installation_dir -no-g++-exceptions -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -nomake tools -nomake examples -no-exceptions
-qt3support -qt-zlib -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg -opengl -platform linux-g++

> (1)     Do I need SoQt (the packages that comes with Coin) for using Qt and
> compiling ODT?

Yes. We use COIN, SoQt, simage and SIMVoleon. SIMVoleon is linked into
the SoOD shared lib (you can avoid that by passing USE_SIM_VOL=yes to
make). We made COIN as follows:

--disable-debug --disable-symbols --enable-shared --disable-static
--enable-threadsafe --enable-rtti --disable-warnings
--disable-dependency-tracking --without-doxygen --with-pthread
CFLAGS="-O2 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" CPPFLAGS="-O2
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" LDFLAGS="-s -O2
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -lstdc++"

> (2)     Given that the executable Opendtect installs the programming
> environment trough a menu option, and because I do not have yet the
> executable binary to do this, I need to copy the source files from other
> installation. (Is that so?).

It's probably the easiest way. The menu option also creates some scripts
that you can source to initialize Pmake and so forth, and it creates
some links to .so files.

> What do you recommend: Copying the source files
> from a Windows installation or from a linux like installation (like the SGI
> I made months before)?

Definitely from a Linux installation. I mean, you are building on Linux,
right? It's just a different architecture (one that we don't support -
true). Still, it would be your best chance.

> (3)     Do I need to copy the whole ODWork directory? Is there a compressed
> package from your web site just containing the source code?

The source code is in the doc.base.opendtect-3.1.6.tar.gz file in
ftp.opendtect.org/pub/devel/pkgs (assuming you are going for the
development release).

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands