[OpendTect_Developers] Regarding DTECT_APPL env. variable

John Watson john.watson at arkcls.com
Fri Jun 3 10:53:55 CEST 2011

Hi Vaqar

Are you developing on Windows using Visual Studio? I find I get the
"missing icons" problem when I run OpendTect on windows but without the
correct working directory. In OpendTect code file Basic/oddirs.c the
function GetSoftwareDir() uses _getcwd() to work out where the software
is installed and hence where to find the toolbar icons. This means in
order to launch opendtect correctly on windows, you must either open a
cmd window, cd to the bin/win64 where od_main.exe resides and run
od_main from there, or you can setup a windows shortcut which has the
"Start in" property correctly set.

Maybe a minor change to GetSoftwareDir() would also help: if it were to
use the more Windowsy function GetModuleFileName(), this would return
the location of od_main.exe regardles of the working directory. It would
then be possible to run OpendTect correctly from the windows Start menu
"Run" option for instance.

Cheers

John

-----