[OpendTect_Developers] Issue with setting Opendtect 4.6 Data Root location

Genc, Ömer Oemer.Genc at iais.fraunhofer.de
Sat Sep 28 11:00:24 CEST 2013

Hey there,

I am facing problems while trying to set the OpendTect Data root (DTECT_DATA environment variable) location. It seems
that Opendtect has problems writing into the %USERPROFILE%\.od\settings file.

I am on Windows 7 using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

Here is what I did:
I checked out the source for OpendTect 4.6 from here:
https://svn.opendtect.org/od/branches/od4.6/

I used all libraries, like mentioned here:
https://svn.opendtect.org/od/branches/od4.6/relinfo/RELEASEINFO.txt

I am able to build and start OpendTect.
However, when OpendTect starts the "Set Data Directory" dialog opens. Then I click on "Select" and the "File Selection"
dialog opens. In this dialog, I navigate to the %USERPROFILE%\Desktop I right-click and create a brand new directory and name it "ODData".
I select the "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ODData" directory and press "OK" in the "File Selection" dialog.
Now I am back to the "Set Data Directory" dialog and I can see that the Path in the "Opendtect Data Root Directory" input
field is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ODData". This is the directory I have create right now. Now, when clicking "OK" in
the "Set Data Directory" dialog I got the following error message:

-----------Error----------
Cannot write the user settings defining the OpendTect root data dir

I stepped through the code and I can see, that OpendTect is not able to write the field "Default DATA directory" into the
%USERPROFILE%\.od\settings file. Why is this? When is set it manually, OpendTect starts and shows me also the Surveys in
my specified DTECT_DATA directory.

I am administrator on my machine and I also start my Visual Studio Instance as administrator, when building OpendTect.

Any help on this would be nice! I tried several different machines and it is always the same with this. Am I the only one
who experiences this problem?

Cheers,
Ömer