[OpendTect_Users] More on SEG-Y manipulation

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Fri Mar 5 10:30:57 CET 2010

Hi again,

Again we got a lot of feedback (which is welcome!), of which I'd like to
give the highlights. It shows how much this is an issue and also what a
disaster this 'standard' really is. We just try to read a wide range of
'varieties' ...

About SeiSee vs 'Seismic Toolkit' Neil Dyer of ARKeX says:

"I bought a copy of Witwold Seweryn's program
following his message and did find that a procedure that took DAYS to
develop using SeiSee and external co-ordinate transform utilities was
possible in minutes using the Seismic Toolkit, as that program handles
batch processing very well, out of the box as it were with no script
writing required.

SeiSee is great and free, Seismic Toolkit paid for itself within 1 hour
of purchase, I use both !"

>From Chris Ross of CrossQI:

"I found SeiSee on the web about a year ago and this is serious seismic
software that I use for prestack and post stack header manipulation, and
data manipulation.  I often use this to shorten record lengths in deep
water areas to something a little more reasonable to load into
interpretation packages.  If anyone needs serious header
reader/manipulation software for SEGY files, this package needs to be on
the short list."

>From Hamish McIntyre of BG:

"I use SeiSee often to QC small SEGY files. Main limitations:
1. it only runs on WinOS
2. it does not support SEGY Revision 1 and it does not report on the
extended (formerly non standard) Binary and Trace Header values (i.e. in
the case of trace headers) 180-240."

Lastly something on SU by "Khanh Duc Nguyen":

"There is also a FREE graphical interface to SU on Linux - TKSU:
http://www.henrythorson.com/interface.htm"

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org