[Users] How-to: extract a 3D enveloppe of a chimney ?

Friso Brouwer friso.brouwer at dgb-group.com
Mon Dec 10 16:35:11 CET 2007

Dear Aurelien,

For 2D displays: What we do often is display multiple attributes
(layers) on one inline. On the base layer you can display a full stack
or similar seismic display so you will have a context. On the higher
layers you can display attributes such as your chimney. The trick is for
the higher layers to make part of the colorbar transparent and/or make
the layer as a whole transparent, such that you can appreciate the
context (seismic) and attribute in one view. For convenience OpendTect
has a default colorbar called chimney of which the lower part is
transparent. Below some links to the manual entries that will enable you
to do this.
Manipulate lines (to add more layers):
http://www2.opendtect.org/rel/html/x131.htm#AEN374
Manipulate colorbar:
http://www2.opendtect.org/rel/html/x131.htm#LINK-COLOR.EDIT

For  interpretation of the chimney you can use multiple sections/slice
in different directions which will give you a good feeling about the 3D
character and morphology of the chimney.

For 3D displays: Load the data in a volume display element. Then use the
volume rendering option. The trick is to use a colorbar which is 100%
transparent for most of the range and only shows the upper ~5% of the
actual data range. This because in volume view the (partial) transparent
works similar to a fog, one can only see so deep in the object and
setting the cut-off to low would obliterate the view on the core of the
chimneys - often to get this exactly right you need to play around a
little bit with the color bar cut-offs. Below the link to the manual
entry regarding volume rendering:
http://www2.opendtect.org/rel/html/x131.htm#AEN444

I hope to this solves you question. If there is anything unclear shoot
me an email anytime.

Cheers,

--
Friso GC Brouwer