[OpendTect_Users] 3D GPR data

Bruno Chaintreuil bruno.chaintreuil at dgbes.com
Tue Sep 28 09:53:00 CEST 2010

Dear David,

> If I just can import GPR data as 2D-lines how can I to generate 3D
> cube from those 2D-lines?

 From what you are saying, you may need to gather your data and turn it
into 3D before you load it in OpendTect. Inside OpendTect there is no
direct way to do the conversion from a 2D LineSet to a 3D Cube.

Bert and I have been investigating that issue lately. It is far from
simple to create a 3D pseudo cube out of 2D. It requires some complex
FFT interpolation to spread the traces on the grid and the distances
between the lines are often too big. We might get sponsored by BG for a
project of cube merging which also implies seismic interpolation. Some
of the tools will be usable in both cases even though the 2D to 3D is
much more difficult.

However the problem might be a bit easier with densely sampled data such
as GPR and I think I could come up in due time with something. I am not
sure how good the quality would be and when this can actually be done.
Probably not before a few weeks/months because we are really busy right
now making the 4.2 release. In any case I would like to have some GPR
data to test (does anybody have some available ?).

Regards,
Bruno

--
  Bruno Chaintreuil, MSc.